What makes some books AWFUL and others amazing? In the documentary “Bad Writing” a poet seeks out experts in the field to ask various questions about bad writing and how to improve.
Watching the film tonight was interesting and I took down some tips.
- Bad writing over uses the thesaurus.
- Dumping too much information on your readers is bad. Trust your readers and give them some work to do!
- Use correct punctuation.
- You have to take a step back and look critically at your writing.
- Once you get serious about trying to write, you’re going to have a lot of crappy writing to pump out until it starts getting good.
- Tell the truth about what matters.
- Reading bad writing will help you improve as a writer.
- Embrace your mistakes.
- More life experiences make for better writers.
- Read from great authors within your genre.
- Evaluate what you like and dislike about certain books.
You never fail until you stop!